Location: UK / NA
Reports to (Job Title): Platform Engineering Manager
Department: Platform Engineering
As a Platform Engineer you work with the infrastructure, cloud, and engineering teams to build and ensure the continued availability and improvement of our production and test services. You work across systems deployed in Canada, the UK and in the AWS cloud, being involved in projects, improvements, and maintenance across all these environments.
Specific Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Design, document, implement and maintain hybrid and multiple cloud infrastructures whilst working closely with other cloud and engineering teams to implement projects and infrastructure improvements
- Communicate and work alongside various application and development teams to increase our uptime and maintain SLO and SLA
- Conduct research, soliciting business feedback, and getting internal buy-in from stakeholders, the PE team can gain a holistic understanding of the pain points and challenges across the organization and effect change to counter them
- Attend internal and third-party meetings covering incidents or service improvements
- Become a subject matter expert in our Product offerings, how they are served by infrastructure be it cloud or physical and ensure right sizing / scalability
- Ensure all systems are observable, promote a culture of fix before fail
- Apply security, monitoring and alerting best practice to all existing and new systems
Key Internal and External Relationships:
- Software Engineering Team
- Product/Project managers
- Account Managers
- External Suppliers/Support Teams/Customers
- Enterprise IT Team/Customer Support Teams
- Information Security and Compliance Team
- Service Delivery Team and Supply Chain
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Excellent customer facing/customer service skills.
- Able to troubleshoot/work under pressure, meet deadlines.
- Linux System Administration.
- Observability Systems, e.g., Nagios, AppOptics, New Relic
- A thorough understanding and commercial experience of AWS cloud technologies, e.g., EC2, ECS, Route53, S3.
- Various Database architecture experience, e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Cassandra.
- Scripting languages (at least proficient in two), e.g., Python, Bash, PowerShell.
- Understanding of containerization, microservice architecture and cloud/software design patterns, GitLab or similar for CI/CD.
- Understanding of Site Reliability Engineering and key concepts
- Previous experience in a cloud engineering role.
- ITIL Qualified or awareness of the framework.
- An in-depth understanding of AWS Solution Architecture and best practices. Ideally AWS certified.
- Observability Systems, e.g., New Relic, CloudWatch, Solarwinds, Datadog
- Enhanced experience of AWS cloud technologies, e.g., ECR, VPC, Lambda, CFS. Ideally AWS certified.
- Database architectures, both relational and NoSQL, e.g., RDS, DynamoDB, Athena, Cassandra.
- Thorough understanding of Infrastructure as Code principles and related tech such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- Configuration Management, e.g., Ansible, Puppet.
- Storage and Data availability systems, e.g., HP Nimble, NetApp.
- Backup systems, e.g., Veeam, misc. cloud based.
- Networking and Domain Communication, e.g., LDAP, DNS, VPN, Firewalls.
- Data Center experience, e.g., cable management, HDD swap-out.
Other Contextual Information/Special Features:
- Due to the geographical nature of the role, availability outside normal Canadian or UK hours may be required.
- A willingness to be a part of an on call rota and respond to incidents both inside and outside of normal operating hours.
Even if you do not meet all of the above criteria, please consider applying! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch with our HR team, at email@example.com
IMS is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees